Friday, August 11, 2006

Good People

I haven't heard from my mom in a week. Actually, over a week. The last time I dialed her number I talked to my brother. I was on his case about getting a job. Anyway, she was at a bar tonight, she was about to leave, and a friend of hers walked in. This friend I haven't seen in awhile, and I know she hasn't seen him in awhile. Anyway, from what I got from the conversation he made her take his cell phone and call me.

When I answered the phone, I saw that it was an area code from the area I grew up in. The prefix was foriegn to me, but being that most of my family lives in that area code I answered the phone. On the other end there was a familiar male voice. I demanded to know who it is, because who really has my cell phone number? I only gave it to people I want to contact me. He was unsure if I would remember him, because the last time I soberly talked to him I was still in high school...maybe 16 at the oldest. He told me his name and asked if I knew who he was. I repeated his name with his last name. He was happy to know I remembered him. Actually, the last time I talked to him was shortly before I started dating Chris. It was at a bar--I couldn't have been too drunk, because I remember talking to him and which bar it was. And it wasn't the Moose.

This is the second time in the last month an old friend of my mom's has donated a cell phone for her to call me on. Well, insisted she call me from his/her cell phone. I believe though these people secretly wanted my phone number and to talk to me also.

Above I mentioned the Moose. The last time I was there my cousin (who isn't much younger than me) told me I was too old to be there. OK, so the bar is a bit of a meat market, but I only go there to visit my single friends. Or to be supportive of them. This cousin was probably 21, and I was 24 or 25...

Anyway, I really appreciate everything anyone has done to help my mom and I stay intouch. It has really been hard for us being this far away from eachother.

No comments: