Sunday, January 08, 2006

Homesick?

I need to vent. Some people are so slow. This is what I mean. From May 2004-July 2005, DH was looking for a job in the area we lived in, in Wisconsin. He even looked 1 hour + radius around our home. McDonald's wouldn't even get him in for an interview. I made good money and we could make it on what I made. We were fine. But, still it had to be emasculating for me to be bringing home the bread and him nothing. We learned to enjoy a boring life.

anyway, I was looking at a news site for the area I grew up in Wisconsin. They recently, had a revelation: "According to a new study $5 billion dollars in household net worth left Wisconsin between 1995 and 2000 by losing highly-paid, well-educated, people.They're moving out of state faster than those from other states are coming to Wisconsin.Leaders of the Wisconsin Taxpayers Alliance say its mostly 20 somethings and seniors leaving.The researchers think they're chasing what they perceive to be better economic opportunities, better weather, and lower taxes in other states.Experts say it translates into less tax revenue here, fewer assets for state banks and less support for local charities." According to a new study $5 billion dollars in household net worth left Wisconsin between 1995 and 2000 by losing highly-paid, well-educated, people.They're moving out of state faster than those from other states are coming to Wisconsin.Leaders of the Wisconsin Taxpayers Alliance say its mostly 20 somethings and seniors leaving.The researchers think they're chasing what they perceive to be better economic opportunities, better weather, and lower taxes in other states.Experts say it translates into less tax revenue here, fewer assets for state banks and less support for local charities. http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/2164647.html

It took the state 10 years to become concerned about educated and wealthy people leaving the state. Now, I wonder what are they going to do about the situation? Really, I would love to move back, but what is the point if we can't find jobs. The company I was working for downsized, so isn't a logical choice for me to go back. There is another company I would love to work for (actually there are a couple), because they are good strong companies. I would love to live close to my family. My mom doesn't like to travel, but if she could make it to see me in a couple of hours she would be willing.

No comments: